Saturday, March 5, 2011

Fiddler's Green 5k

The sun has been rising earlier as we draw closer to spring and summer. This morning was the first morning in a while that I have gotten up before 6am (this is also one of FEW mornings I have gotten up that early) and its already starting to get light. I had a piece of 10 grain bread this time (I forgot to buy bananas yesterday) and then my Mom and I headed to the 5k site. This was just a "fun run" and was not timed by a chip. In fact they didn't even have time clocks at every mile, just a little mile marker. There was a clock at the end though.

I did not PR, but it wasn't horrible I guess. I ran a 26:10 and was dead. I really wish it would have been under 26 minutes, but the antibiotics I am on make me wear out quickly and I was really pushing to keep going for the second half of the run. I am a little disappointed, but I knew that there was a chance that the odds could be slightly against me. So, for being the first hard run in two weeks, coming off of bronchitis and a bad ear infection, being on antibiotics, and some back pain I woke up with, 26:10 is not terrible. Holly (my sister who is on a college Cross Country Team) said that she even struggles to run hard when she has been on antibiotics.

Mom ran great! She cut over 7 minutes off of her 5k time two weeks ago! I am really happy for her and proud of her! Now our goal is to get her to 10 minute miles.

My goal is still to hit about 22 minutes by summer's end. I discovered that Rollins College has a Cross Country team and that they didn't even have a full team last year. They are a private college and more expensive than where I was originally planning on going, but they also have a lot more financial aid available. I am hoping to go for a campus tour sometime in the next month. I am going to email the Cross Country Coach probably next month or in May. I am hoping to run in two more official races before I contact him and am hoping that I can cut my time down to 24:30ish. At least then I can show my progress over the last year (32:02 was my time last July).

No comments:

Post a Comment