Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Running Gadgets and Cognitive Running

When it comes to running gear and gadgets I am sort of a "naturalist". I believe in having the essentials; shoes, shorts/pants, sports bra, and shirts/jackets. I also will run with an iPod on occasion (the occasion that I actually remember to grab it). I think the idea of a Garmin running watch is fine and I wouldn't mind having an iPod touch with "cool" running applications. But honestly, those things tend to be more distracting to me while running than helpful and are not essential for running.

However, I have discovered a gadget that I would LOVE to have. It is the Nike+iPod Sport Kit. It was created to be used with the Nike+ shoes, however there are ways around it if you do not have Nike shoes, which I do not. The kit comes with a wonderful little wireless sensor that you place inside the special pocket in the sole of your running shoes (assuming you wear Nike shoes). There is also a wireless receiving device that you plug into your iPod. As you run the shoe sensor sends information to your iPod that tracks your progress, pace, distance, calories burned, and duration of the run. My favorite feature is that it gives you real-time updates during your run. You can choose to have spoken feedback alerting you of milestones reached your pace and time, or how far away you are from your goal. You can find more information and buy it at the Apple Store.

I have high hopes of purchasing this gadget sometime in the near future. However, between the cost of college, 5k entry fees, bills and everything else going on in life right now, it does not have a high ranking in our budget. But as soon as I do purchase it, I will test it out and let you know my thoughts and feedback on it.

I was very excited to discover that I have had 71 people view my blog. I only have two followers, but viewers are good.

Running Update:
  • I have recruited my Mom to run her first 5k. We are running in one and half weeks. My goal is to run the 5k in 25:30 or less, but I am not going to beat myself up if I do not reach my goal considering I haven't been training hardcore over the last few weeks.
Running Tracker:
  • Sunday: My husband and I ran 4 miles. I love when my husband decides to run with me and it was a wonderful run.
  • Monday: I ran two miles with a friend and continued to run two hard miles.
  • Tuesday (today): I ran two miles this morning at a moderate pace. I had hoped to run this evening, but too many variables were against me.
Running has been therapeutic for me this week. The school semester is now in full swing and the homework is starting to pile up. This week I have a huge test in biology, which I am quite nervous about. Biology is not my forte. But that is not the reasoning behind my "cognitive running". My husband had to unexpectedly get on a plane yesterday to fly to Indiana to see his grandmother who had suddenly taken a declining turn in health. To make a long story short, he was able to see her one last time. She went home forever an hour and a half later. I wasn't able to go with my husband and it is hard not being able to be there for him.

Grandma Gibbs will be missed by so many loved ones. She was an amazing woman who will continue to live through the memories of her legacy: her children and grandchildren. We are sad because we miss her and it hurts to know we will never see her again in this lifetime. But we rejoice in her homecoming. She will is no longer in pain, no longer suffering, but has been welcomed into The Father's embrace. She is home.

No comments:

Post a Comment