Thursday, January 13, 2011

Classes and Work and Running....Oh My!

Everybody says the first week of school is the easiest week...I would like to find out who "everybody" is and then "beg to differ". I have already had two quizzes, lots of reading and an assignment. Not to mention the English CLEP Test I took, but I am fairly certain most people do not take that during the first week of school. Yesterday the Registration, Testing and Advising Offices had me running back and forth all afternoon. But the end result was worth it. My class schedule for the semester is officially set and I am enrolled in English 2.

I experienced taking the bus for the first time in 6 years. It was a much better experience than in high school. In addition, riding the bus is EXTREMELY inexpensive compared to driving to school. It only costs $1.00 for students. I cannot drive to school and back on $2.00 worth of gas (not to mention that it is hard to drive a car you don't have). I did consider running home...however I cannot run with my school bag and the direct route is not really pedestrian-friendly. It might be a possibility in the future though (when its warmer). Its only 7.5 miles.

I did run yesterday, only 3 miles though. I am hoping this weather warms up soon. I am hoping I don't break my running goals on the 3rd day. I planned on running this afternoon, but then I remembered I have homework before classes and I have to make a decision. Unfortunately the consequences of neglecting my homework is much higher than if I miss a run. However, I may try and talk Mark into going on at least a mile run (ugh) after classes. At least one mile means I still ran.

RUNNING TIP #2:
Our bodies naturally send warning signals to our brain when something isn't normal. When you run and start to labor a little in your breathing, you may experience slight panic and your body may try to "shut down" (mostly your muscles may feel suddenly stiff or your chest may get tight). The best thing you can to is to relax. Slow your running down, remind yourself that you are still breathing and not "dying", relax your hands (don't clench your hands into fists) and arms, and just focus on putting one foot in front of the other. As soon as you relax and your brain is back to normal just pick your pace back up and continue on.

Happy running :)

No comments:

Post a Comment